Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I like Wednesdays

It might just be me but I do. Rhetoric class and (sometimes) Bible studies, besides a feeling of "Oh good, I'm halfway through the week" all combine. I felt like sharing a poem. Endure as best you can.

Ink Smears
The ink smears,
Nearly causing tears,
The ink climbs,
Like black vines.
Splotches spread
Like the chicken pox
That mothers’ dread.

I wrestle the ink to the ground and beat it.
I rub the dust from my hands.
“That will teach it."
So I send it smoothly
In straight lines
Like an arrow.

I glance away for a moment only,
It is far off the path,
Galloping along at a high rate of speed,
Is the ink which I increasingly need.


I feel guilty,
Like I have broken something,
As I stare at my straggly lines.
Was my poor attempt worthy?
Or did my lines involuntarily defile
The pure loveliness of the paper?

No comments: