Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Books!

I took a box of books to trade in at the used bookstore yesterday. They took only two, which partly explains why they're such a good bookstore- they're selective. Also, they're making sure not to have a million copies of something that won't sell. Anyway, they gave me $4 in credit, which more than covered the cost of The Hound of Heaven and Other Poems by Francis Thompson.

It was a very nice bookstore, and a wonderful treat, especially after going to another bookstore a few days ago, which was a great example of wasted potential. Down brick steps to a basement, right on the small town square and under little shops, is a bookstore. Anticipation grows as you negotiate the stairs down, but when you open the door, you see nature posters thumbtacked onto the walls, three large shelves of romance novels, two of paperback mysteries, and one scrawny, knee high shelf of classics. A tragedy!

5 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I love second hand bookshops too!

Anonymous said...

How exciting!! Was it a bookstore near your house?

~Kb

A. Victoria said...

Bookstores, ummmm. I love the smell of the books and the feel of being around so much information and fun stories. It is great!

Ash

natalie said...

Lauren- LOL! :-) How sad! I hope you have some time to read soon.
Chiefbiscuit- Aren't they fun? I love the feeling of hunting for a treasure.
Kailey- It was pretty close to the DAV on the road that church is on, by Andy's. :-)
A.Victoria- I love the smell too!

JFC said...

I wondered if it was ABC. I acquired a chunk of my theological library from them.

(I was a little confused by the name of the store. In West Virginia where I went to high school, all the liquor stores are run by the state, and they are called ABC stores because they are run by the Alcoholic Beverage Commission. The ABC store here is a little different.)

;)