Pages

Friday, March 17, 2006

Shortage of Victims

My brothers were unusually noisy this morning, and unusually persistent in their demand that I wake up and come out of my room. I was enjoying my sleep, my comfortable pillow, and my cozy grey pj's, and therefore ignored their demands for a while, but after at least ten minutes of certain un-named siblings performing an impromptu serenade of howling and yowling at my door, I heard the tea kettle whistling cheerily in the distance, and, therefore, proceeded to get out of bed. I climbed down from my upper bunk and prepared to sally forth in search of a nice hot cup of strong black tea with, possibly, a bit of honey in it. Smiling at that thought, I opened my door and beheld four of my siblings, two of whom, to my surprise, pinched me before I managed to get the door shut again. I regret to say that the first one who pinched me received back a light smack, which, however, only increased his mirth. Baffled at their strange behavior, I shut the door, despite their best efforts, and stood for a moment in thought, centering on the question "Why? Why are they pestering me?".
As my still groggy brain worked on processing these deep questions, much giggling could be heard from the other side of the door, as well as the illuminating question "Didn't you look at your calendar?"

Now, I ask you! Look at my calendar? I hadn't even had a cup of tea!
Now, I have to admit to you that I'm proud of them for all their persistence. After an interval, during which I consulted my calendar, I emerged again, having added to my attire not one but two green shirts, as well as some lime green socks (best to be on the safe side).

I am invincible now! And they are out of victims again, since Dad decreed that the animals are immune. People should come visit us and not wear green. You'd make many children happy.


Happy St. Patrick's Day, ya'll!

6 comments:

JFC said...

Dare I confess that I ventured forth into the world of my existence ere consulting a calendar this morning, and am, therefore, not properly attired with green accoutrements on this fine day.

Thankfully, my co-workers seem to be oblivious to the obvious opportunity with which I presented them, and my flesh is, therefore, unscathed by pincers.

I'm happy that your predicament was speedily solved with the addition of the fine looking lime green socks and the 2 greens shirts to which you made reference.

:)

Anonymous said...

THat's funny Natalie. I love how you write. You can take the simplest things and make it sound so well! :o)

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

natalie said...

JFC- LOL! I can't believe no one noticed! You should've found a green Post-it note to affix to yourself just in case. :-)

Lauren- Oh, thank you, Lauren. :-) I had my dad's help writing this post.

Mybelovedismine- We weren't able to invite them, so they were spared.

Hannah- thanks! They're one of my favorite pairs. :-)

JFC said...

JFC- LOL! I can't believe no one noticed! You should've found a green Post-it note to affix to yourself just in case. :-)

I work with mature individuals. Either that, or stuck-in-the-muds. (Or should that be stucks-in-the-mud?) :D

JFC said...

DAB said: Oh the joys of St. Patrick's Day! I woke up to search my closet for something green to wear, and suddenly realized that I have two green shirts to my name!? I thankfully avoided pinching, sent an e-pinch to my sister, and failed to observe the holiday in any other way!

AND you wore a lovely green scarf on your Yahoo avatar.