Pages

Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick

‘For forty years Patrick labored among the Irish. They came to Christ by the thousands. Many Irishmen followed Patrick’s example and went into the ministry, bringing Christianity to the farthest corners of Ireland and beyond. Near the end of his life, when asked if all the hadships had been worth it, Patrick answered, "The greatest gift in my life has been to know and love God; to serve Him is my highest joy."’ - Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History, by Richard M. Hannula

"What we know for certain about Patrick can be briefly summarized: Patrick was born to a Roman official, a nominal Christian, somewhere in the west country of Britain, around the turn of the fifth century. Kidnapped from his well-to-do home by Irish raiders at the age of sixteen, he was taken to Ireland and made to serve as a shepherd for six years. During his period of enslavement he rediscovered his faith in God and, at the prompting of a dream or a vision he believed to have come from God, he escaped, ultimately returning to his home across the Irish Sea. Upon receiving there a vision of the people among whom he had slaved, calling him to come and walk among them once more, he returned to Ireland and prepared for the Gospel ministry..." - Introduction to Celtic Flame: The Burden of Patrick, by T.M. Moore

Christ be with me, Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
I bind unto myself the Name,
The strong Name of the Trinity,
By invocation of the same,
The Three in One and One in Three.
By Whom all nature hath creation,
Eternal Father, Spirit, Word:
Praise to the Lord of my salvation,
Salvation is of Christ the Lord.
-part of The Lorica or Saint Patrick’s Breastplate

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really pretty song. Long, but pretty! LOL

JFC said...

We were singing it in family worship at almost the same time you posted it ... but ALL 9 STANZAS! :)

I'm glad people are remembering the REAL St. Patrick on his day ... I've found 2 other blogs that posted the ENTIRE 9 stanzas.

Loz H. said...

It's a good thing you didn't type the whole song, your hands would probebly be hurting really really bad!!! LOL!