Pages

Friday, January 13, 2006

Around the House...

...two magnificently attired soldiers, caped in old sheets, march through, armed with wooden daggers. They didn't mind being called knights, but I think they look more Roman. They're speaking a strange language they're making up on the spot, and lapsing into English when clearer communication is needed.

As they march through, I'm carefully squashing cookies with a fork, adding the pretty criss-cross look typical of peanut butter cookies. My third brother looks on in horror, and asks, "Why are you smashing them?" He looks much relieved when I explain that it won't ruin them, and asks if it will help them rise better. He has realized over recent months how important it is that my bread rises well, so he politely showed concern over the rising of the cookies. Of course, his concern is practical, as well as polite, but that is perfectly reasonable...nobody's happy when the cookies don't "work".

8 comments:

JFC said...

Though peanut butter are not my #1 favorite cookie, I still attest to the angst that one feels when it appears that the cookies may not turn out. I'm sure said knight was quite relieved to know that everything would be okay.

Kay Cooke said...

I enjoy reading your blogs. I like how you use few words to describe things exquisitely. Your photos are beautiful. Inspiring. My job is a nanny for five lively, imaginative boys - three of whom are on school holidays at the moment - so I can picture the scene so well!! The boys I look after are into knights and castles and armour .. etc etc Robin Hood was a favourite at one stage. What is it about boys and fighting? Great for language development tho' - e.g. moats, pallisades, armoury and scabards. I take some comfort from that.

natalie said...

JFC- Yes, he was, and I know he liked them because he pleaded to have more than his alloted share. :-)

Chiefbiscuit- Thanks you for your kind compliments, and for leaving a comment.
My five brothers are also lively and imaginative. :-)
I think their play warfare is good for developing a protective bent towards moms and sisters (defending them against evil, although invisible, attackers), and it is also great to see them using their imaginations... as long as they aren't pretending to be airplanes while jumping off the bed... ;-)

JFC said...

as long as they aren't pretending to be airplanes while jumping off the bed

Oh, Naddy, who could blame a kid for falling with style.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you talk about your brothers. You have such love for them!

natalie said...

JFC- I could. Because that's just the kind of person I am... well, all right, I guess I can see the appeal of jumping off the bed. After all, in my younger years I distinctly remember doing that very thing. :-)

Jess- Thank you. :o)

T A Lucas said...

'practical, as wll as polite'- that's funny.

Is the "work" an actual quote from one of those brothers, just an applied word to thier behavior?

natalie said...

TA- just the way I think they see it. :-)

Deborah Anne- thanks for your comment! I enjoyed reading it. At least your cousin's daughter is keeping your mind sharp. ;-) I find that kids' questions tend to make me look at things from a different perspective and really think, why do I do this? Why do I add salt to cookies?
Soon it'll be something more dangerous.
Oh, thanks. That's so comforting. ;-)