Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Hearts

I am not very good at crafts, but I did a very simple one recently, and it turned out, so I'm excited to share it with you all! :)

I basically did this, but punched two holes instead.  The salt dough is easy- just 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup warm water, 1 cup flour, then mix (I added red food coloring!) and bake at 250 for around two hours (until hard.)

Here is the proof are the pictures...

The baked hearts...
My beloved ball of twine... perfect for so many things, and cheap, to boot!
That funky looking heart there was what I did with the leftover dough. :)
I threaded the twine through the holes of the hearts... 
I made those with a straw, and it was easy since the dough stuck in the straw and it punched it out nicely.
Then pull it through the other side, and take a picture of your feet.  This step is essential. ;)
Decide how long you want your hanging loop to be.  Then tie it, trim your ends...

... and hang it somewhere fun!
Or quirky... ;)

Happy Valentine's Day (a little early...)!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea!

natalie said...

Thanks! :) I'm having fun finding places to put them all over the house... it made about twelve hearts, so plenty to go around!

Unknown said...

I'm going to use this recipe (minus the food coloring) to make Hello Kitty's for my daughter & her friends to decorate at her birthday party, assuming I can find a Hello Kitty cookie cutter, or figure some other way to make it. Thanks for posting it!

natalie said...

You're welcome, Steph! That sounds like a really fun idea! I bet you could use a circle cookie cutter and then cut some triangles to add for ears... :)