Pages

Monday, February 01, 2010

Nathan and Butter

In my last post I referenced Nathan and butter, and then I realized I had only shared one (1!) of the many notable butter incidents of his lifetime.  I don't know why.  Maybe because it might make me look like a bad parent?  Anyway.

Nathan, about a year
 
But the humor value is too high to keep these to myself.  Besides, if I chronicle them here someday perhaps I can compile them and print them out and embarrass my children when they're teenagers fondly recall the unpredictability of life with small children funny things my kiddos did.

Butter incidents 1 through [approximately] 247: In the early days of having two, when Nathan was 14 months and felt that every obstacle in his path was put there as a challenge to his climbing skills, and Miriam was nursing a lot, and Mama was too forgetful to put the butter in the cupboard after meals, Nathan was  found on the table many times, sitting next to the butter dish, with butter smeared all over the table, himself, and the butter dish, naturally.  It was spring/summertime, so the warmth was very conducive to smearable butter! 

Nathan, about 14 months
wow, this picture is making me crave summer!

Butter incident 248: Recently on the way to church we thought he was quiet in the back seat because he was asleep. Not so. Halfway there, I twisted myself around in my seat to discover that he was quiet because he had reached the stick of butter intended for the potluck food, unwrapped it, broken it in two, smeared it on his coat, pants, hands, face, and carseat, and eaten about 1/8 of it.  Thankfully, I am a chronic overpacker, and had two choices of spare pants, sweats and dress pants, and we took the jacket off him in the parking lot, so we managed to appear nearly as presentable as usual.  Except I can't remember if that is the week we forgot his shoes and he wore only socks all day?  Possibly.  I think maybe it was but I was so relieved at finding the spare dress pants in the bottom of the bag that trivialities like shoes were no big deal to me.  I don't know why they would be anyway, but the butter threw things into perspective that morning for me!
Nathan sleeping (about 15 months)  :)

Adventure, right? :)

8 comments:

Amanda said...

That's not bad parenting - its letting them explore the textures around them... right?? :) I once found my 18-month-old (I had a 3-month-old at the time too) eating through a jar of peanut butter that her daddy had forgotten to put on a high shelf in the pantry :-o LOL All you can do is take a picture!

natalie said...

Yep, we're just giving them lots of tactile play. Very educational! ;-)

Good for you for taking a picture! I was looking through our pictures when I was writing this and was so sad to realize that we had no pictures of all the times he did that. I do have a picture of the time he climbed into the baby swing, latched the tray, and was stuck, though! ;-)

Lindsay said...

A boy after my own heart. You know when I was his age, my mom found me int he kitchen one morning, and I had ruin 200 dollars worth of food for the month. I cracked open 12 eggs into their carton, and put 10 unwrapped sticks of butter into 10 yogurt cups. I took out all the meat form the freezer and stacked it neatly in the lower cabinets. My mom said she almost killed me. :)

Nowadays, I LOVE cooking(especially butter!) Maybe he'll love cooking when he grow up too!

Lindsay said...

Whoa, lots of typos! I guess I should proofread my stuff!

Rebekah said...

Lindsay, that is absolutely hilarious! :D

natalie said...

Wow, Lindsay! I'm a little surprised you're alive too... ;)

That is an encouraging thought... I've just got a budding foodie on my hands, lol!

Smoochagator said...

What a cutie Nathan is! I imagine he was even more adorable covered in warm, slimy butter!

natalie said...

Aw, thanks! :) And yes, he was... although sometimes I, sadly, didn't appreciate it as much as I should've. It felt like that stage of life was going to last forever... and then I blinked and its gone. Many memories of cuteness and butter, though! :)