Pages

Friday, February 05, 2010

Lets Talk About Cloth Diapers! :)

Recently I've talked to several different people about cloth diapers, so I thought I'd turn those thoughts and explanations about how I cloth diaper into a post. :)

Now, here is a disclaimer to start off with- I'm not a diehard.  I don't cloth diaper at night, because I *hate* waking up snuggled next to my baby... in a puddle.  I also generally don't cloth diaper on Sundays because we're away from home for most of the day, and because that makes it more of a day of rest for me.

However, I do usually cloth diaper at home, and this is how I do it...

Fuzzi Bunz Sage Cloth Pocket DiaperMy Fuzzi Bunz are what I grab first out of the diaper drawer.  I have 6 smalls (which Nathan outgrew before 6 months, but Miriam is still fitting into at 9 months), 12 sage mediums (which fit both my 9 month old and my 22 month old), and 6-10 large sized Fuzzi Bunz.

I think this is a pretty nice stash, but I only had to purchase the mediums, and we got a pretty good deal on Ebay.  The others were handmedowns from another mom (a huge blessing! Thanks Mrs. B!) and had already been through several kiddos.  I do not think that some of the larges will make it through another little one without having new elastic put in, but I may decide that is worth the investment as that would be less expensive than purchasing new.  On the other hand, Fuzzi Bunz now come in one size that has adjustable elastic so it can grow with the baby.  That would be nice so I may try out a few of those when these large ones finally kick the bucket.

Thirsties Diaper Cover- Sky Blue, MediumSnappi Cloth Diaper Fasteners - Pack of 3 (white, white, mint green)Sometimes I run out of Fuzzi Bunz that fit Miriam before the dirty diapers are washed and dry again.  When that happens, I use prefolds with a Snappi , which I love.  So much easier than pins, and faster, too.   I started out using pins and plastic pants, and honestly I don't like either.  I much prefer the Snappi and my two Thirsties covers.  Thirsties are much easier when you have a dirty diaper, since plastic pants have to be pulled off, and Thirsties are really adjustable, which I like. Also, they have leg gussets, which REALLY cuts down on leaks! I have the medium size, and I think it will last Miriam for several more months.  They are a lot cheaper than Fuzzi Bunz, for sure, and if I had known how easy to use they were, especially with the Snappi, I might have just purchased them instead.  Plus, they're cute! :)  I have the sky blue pictured here, and a lovely aqua as well (decided against girly colors so whenever #3 comes along I won't need to purchase more, either way)...

As far as washing, it is really simple.  I'll shake dirty toddler diapers out into the toilet, but baby diapers and wet diapers just go straight into a dry pail.  When I'm ready to wash, I shake the liners out of the diapers, and fold the velcro over on the Thirsties.  Then I run a cold rinse, and a warm or hot wash with either soap nuts (not the best deal on them, but if you want to try them out the little starter pack is a low investment way to do it) or laundry detergent (usually this or this) if I'm out of soap nuts, as I am right now.  Sometimes if some of the diapers have been sitting a little too long, or were especially dirty, I'll run two cold rinses and then a warm wash, or a cold rinse/cold wash/warm wash.  Then I hang the outside part of the Fuzzi Bunz, and the Thirsties covers, either outside on the clothesline, or inside on a line I strung across our utility room.  I throw the prefolds and the inserts in the dryer, usually, unless it is a very sunshiny day in which case they do dry fairly quickly on the line.



Nathan, being adorable in the medium sage Fuzzibunz, last summer :)

So... any questions?  If you cloth diaper, what are your favorite diapers?  Did you start out using them or did you change to them?

24 comments:

Tammy said...

I used cloth diapers with all ten of my children. Starting with David, I used diaper service quality pre-folds. They are very thick, absorbent diapers. To begin with, I used disposables when we were out and and night. As time went by, I used cloth exclusively and just carried a Wal Mart sack in my diaper bag to put the soiled diapers in. I didn't have all the options that you do when I first started, so I used nylon pants to cover my diapers. I used pins as well, Dritz pins that I could only find at fabric stores. They were much sharper and easier to get through the diapers. The last time I bought them, I had to find them and my nylon pants online though.

Lindsay said...

Im about to buy a few for Sophia! I really loved using the prefolds and pins with Isa but now there are millions of choices and they are so expensive!

I bought about 30 different dipes when Sophia was born and honestly, none of them were that terrific!
I think Ive heard good things about FB so I might try those but are they good for kids with huge thighs?

Lindsay said...

Do you think a Med Thirsties cover would fit AND LAST on my 20lb, huge thigh-ed Sophia? ;)

kristen said...

I had a stash with a ton of different stuff. fitteds, wool, prefolds, pockets for night, two aios for out...
I liked different diapers for different situations. My favorite covers over prefolds were trim wool covers or mother-ease airflows. I had bummis as back-up. Did not like prowraps at all.

natalie said...

Tammy, I guess then there is hope I'll become a full time cloth diaper user with time! :) I like using grocery bags when I do end up using cloth out and about.

Lindsay, yes to both! Nathan had big thighs, and they worked fine with him. Just for you, I put him in a prefold and a Med Thirsties cover this morning, and it fit. It won't in another six months, I'll bet, but if I can put a 30 lb toddler in a medium, I'm *sure* Sophia would fit into it for a good while. :)

Kristen, that makes sense. I don't have trouble using FB out and about (as long as I remember a bag for them) but prefolds out are a bit harder. I would love to experiment with wool, I've heard lots of good things about it!

Lindsay said...

So yesterday I bought 3 Bum Genius(only option at the store and Im crazy about instant gratification!) and 3 thirsties (online). So far so good, even my husband is impressed by the quality of the BG! We havent seriously cloth diapered in about 6 years so I think the all-in-ones are aen easy start. i cant wait for the Thirsties though, the colors were SO cute!

Lindsay said...

"Only option" apart from Gdiapers, but I havent heard many good things about them.

natalie said...

Yay, Lindsay! How fun! I think the AIO really makes it easy to start out... I was intimidated by prefolds and pins when we started, but the FB were easy! :)

Lindsay said...

Natalie, WHen Isa was little we did prefolds and pins because it was that or the plastic Gerber covers. I was MUCH younger back then and even David could pin in the dark. Nowadays were older and MUCH more tired and Im thinking the AIO are going to work fine. Now Im feeling the itch to go get more and more and more! LOL

Janel said...

How did you know I was just about to e-mail you about diapers? :) Thinking ahead to our wee one, I would like to cloth diaper but all the options are really confusing. I've considered making my own, but I'm not sure it's worth my time when I can just buy them. You mentioned something about "waking up in a puddle"...are they really leaky? Oh dear....

natalie said...

Lindsay, LOL! "even David could pin in the dark..."

Hi, Janel! :)
No, I don't think cloth diapers are "really leaky" - at least, the Fuzzi Bunz or Thirsties haven't been for me. I have triple stuffed the Fuzzi Bunz (put in 3 liners instead of 1) and had Nathan do fine overnight quite a few times. For that long of a time period, though, disposables seem to work better at keeping the bed dry... although I have had disposables leak a few times in the wee hours of the morning, too. :)

I have 6 size small Fuzzi Bunz, which Miriam will definitely outgrow this month, and I would be more than happy to loan them to you! :) That way you could get a feel for whether you liked them or not without any initial investment. :)
Also, just so you know, I waited about a month before starting cloth diapers with Nathan and Miriam, both to keep things simple as I recovered and because when they're tiny they need changed really frequently. Not that you have to wait, but don't feel like if you don't start out with cloth that you've missed the boat! :)

Lindsay said...

Oh yeah, thats another question! How many do you have Natalie? Sophia HAS to wear a disposable at night. But so far I have 3 Thirsties covers, 2 Bummis covers, 1 FB and 3 BG. SO thats 9 total. I do laundry every day so I think thats good, you opinions?!

natalie said...

Lindsay, how many prefolds do you have? Also, with the thirsties, I don't change them unless they need it- like for a moderately wet prefold, I'll just change the prefold, not the prefold and the cover.

I have 6 small FB, 12 medium FB, and 6-10 large sized Fuzzi Bunz. I have three cheapo velcro FB knock offs that I only use under my two Thirsties, and a boatload of prefolds. ;)

I think that sounds reasonable... I'd probably want a few more AIO, but thats just my personal preference.

Lindsay said...

Becauae Sophia is a barf-er I have maybe 20ish prefolds! I have some GMD reds and Gerber, which I actually LOVE. They absorb way better than the GMD, which I was surprised at. I also have a bunch of inserts from the smaller cloth dipes I can use!

Lindsay said...

Ok, so the FuzziBuns are the ULTIMATE diaper! Wow! The rest were awesome too and I got through the whole day (7am to 8pm) with 5 diapers!(just changed the inserts)

Im going out tomorrow to buy more FB, I am SO Impressed!

natalie said...

Lindsay, I know, FB are soooo easy! I love it when I'm pulled together and have them all stuffed with the inserts and ready to go in the diaper drawer... then I just pull a clean one out and put the wet/dirty one in the bucket, and it is just as easy as a disposable! (Well, except that I have to do a load of laundry later, but besides that... ;)

Kim Rosen said...

I cloth diaper a lot like you Natalie! I use disposables at night and on the weekend when we're on the go, but whenever I'm home we use cloth.
I love my cloth dipes! I use a pocket diaper called "nubunz". I like them a lot and they're VERY reasonably priced. Each diaper comes with 2 microfiber inserts. I also started my stash with GMD prefolds and a few different covers - that was the most affordable option for me, but once I found the nubunz I sold all my PF's and loaded up on the pockets. I feel like Parker is more comfortable with fleece against his bum than cotton (if that makes any sense).
Also - FYI... Thirsties makes a ONE SIZE adjustable (well it comes in 2 sizes... but you get the idea) cover that I used a bit before selling. I thought it was really great! I bet that would be a option for anyone looking to stock up on some more thirsties covers.
Washing is super easy too. I'm surprised at how the dipes don't really stain that badly. Although I will be sunning some of them out in the spring when it's a little warmer.

natalie said...

David- interesting info... I've thought about a sprayer but haven't ever used one. Occasionally I wish I had one for a diaper that isn't shaking off well, but an extra rinse in the washer generally works as well.

Kim - I like that they come with two inserts! I like double stuffing for naps, and the inserts take way longer to air dry anyway (which I'm stuck with at the moment because my dryer went AWOL).

I know what you mean about the fleece... I think they feel dryer as well, so I much prefer my FB over my prefolds for naps, since I really don't want a nice long nap cut short because baby feels wet and wakes up!

Lindsay said...

Ok, so after using the dipes for over a week, our favs are the FB, the Bummis Whisper wraps and Thirsties, with the FB insert. I grab those first. The Bum genuis are ok, I feel like its a lot of bulk for a one time use, kwim? The pockets and the wraps dry a LOT faster too!

Its funny, with Isa, I did the prefolds/pins and Kushies AIO, but with Sophia, I prefer something totally different!

natalie said...

Different kiddos, different seasons, different diapers! :)

Glad you're liking the FB... and good to hear your input on the BGs, since I've looked at them and wondered how well I would like them. I prefer not to make the already big puffy cloth diapered bottom bigger than it needs to be, though, lol!

natalie said...

Update...

I have had a little bit of leaking with my FB lately and am wondering if it is because of my soap nuts. I know that different detergents can cause the fleece to actually repel water (!!!) and make the diapers leak. I've had to strip my diapers and they worked much better (and didn't have the 'off' odor I was having trouble with.) Here's a link with some more info: http://www.fuzzibunz.com/faq.php#trouble2

natalie said...

Ok, update... discovered our hard water + soap nuts wasn't best. Got some Rockin' Green Cloth Diaper powder, LOVE it. A few soaks really helped the dipes get back to normal, and great for washing too.

Amy @ Raising Arrows said...

I've not tried Thirsties, but I've heard wonderful things about them. I got started with MotherEase Airflows and really like them. For the newborn, I use a lot of Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.

Thanks for sharing your fluffy post with me!

natalie said...

April 2011 update -
cloth diapering for naps, overnight, & outings, but not the rest of the time because Nathan (3) is doing great with the potty and Miriam (2) isn't far behind! :)

Rockin' Green got us back to normal and now i'm using Ecos free & clear. http://t.co/TyTDEGw

I've also changed the wash routine to cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse. The second rinse makes sure that there isn't any residual detergent on the diapers.

I'm looking forward to a new challenge soon - cloth diapering a newborn! I used disposables for the first few months with Nathan and Miriam, but I was given some adorable tiny diapers this time around & it gave me the nudge I needed to get excited about doing cloth from the start. I know i'll probably be given or buy a few sposies anyway, but i'm hoping to do mostly cloth this time. :)