Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Sewing Update

I've always wanted a cape. When I was little I'd put an afghan over my shoulders and pretend it was a flowing cloak. Unfitted sheets work much better for make-believe capes.
To come to my stated subject... today I bought Simplicity pattern 5794, which has three different capes.
I think that a lined cape might be an overly ambitious beginners project, but my dear friend Kit is making one, as are her two sisters and another friend, so I should be able to pick their brains and beg for help when the sewing machine tries to kill me.
The occasion for the capes is a ball in January, although I might wear it (if it works;-) in February.

In other sewing news~
~My drawneck shirt is, I estimate, half done. I need to put the sleeves on. That sounds intimidating, but I tell myself I can always rip out the seam and start over.
~I began a skirt, but I haven't sewn anything yet, just cut out the pattern.

Hopefully today I'll be able to go to the big, dusty, discount fabric store (which is quite an adventure and sells some fabrics by weight) and find cape fabric. The pattern says to use Velvet, Velveteen, Shantung, or Tweeds for the outside, and Satin or Taffeta for the lining. The current plan is to use black Satin for the outside, and polarfleece (colors different for each person) for the inside. This should be interesting.... ;-)

No comments: