Pages

Friday, January 16, 2004

I was on the couch about twenty minutes ago finishing up Cur Deus Homo, when I noticed that my cat, Oreo, was glaring at me in an attempt to force me to feed her. I didn’t want to, though, because I was the only person awake in the house, my mother replenishing our grocery supply, and I’ve watched too many movies about Things that Jump from Behind Bushes and Things that Lurk in Shadows. I have no idea why an assassin would be lurking in my backyard, but I would rather not risk it. You never know.

Therefore, I ignored the cat and resumed my reading.
Now, I ought to explain that in her kittenhood my kitty developed a hatred of waving feet. This was due to the fact that my father would wave his feet, she would attack, and he, due to the protection of socks, would invariably win. Therefore, she hates all evil waving feet. So, I put my foot over the back of the couch and waved it gently too and fro, wondering whether she would come around the couch and attack. She did not. Instead, she startled me by racing up the back of the couch and shooting my foot a malevolent glare before sparing me and gracefully leaping off again.

Thereupon duly humbled, I resumed my reading. It would be hard to beat a cat for putting people in their place.

No comments: