Pages

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Welcome, Fall!

It is officially fall!  Well, it actually has been fall for ten days, but now that it is October it feels much more like fall.  And the weather seems to be in fall mode as well, we're having a nice blustery grey day today. I love days like this!  They make me want to put the kettle on, light a candle, and sit down with some knitting or a good book...

I love so many things about fall...the crunchy leaves, the beautiful colors, the crispness in the air, the excuse to wear hats and scarves and gloves, or to curl up in a soft blanket inside.

Rachel over at One Pretty Thing put together a great collection of fall DIY ideas, and I drooled over loved this fall makeover for a mantlepiece.  I was grieving over my lack of a mantle, which has really cramped my garland making desires, when it hit me.  The odd wide trim over the window over the sink!  Viola!  For some odd reason there are three nails already in the board, left behind by the previous owner, so I was saved the laborious task of trying to remember where I last put the hammer.  And where the bigger nails are, since I can only find the teeny tiny ones that are a step up from a pin.  But I digress (isn't that what blogs are for, though?!)... anyway... I think it needs some bulking up, but here is the basic garland:




Are you doing anything fun to welcome fall? :)

3 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

How pretty! What a good way to improvise. I did make pumpkin bread, but that's the only "fallish" thing I've done yet. :)

Janel said...

I love fall and your garland is so nice! I don't have a mantle either, so I'm always putting garlands above curtains. :) Just yesterday I made a corn shock around the lamp post and put up our scarecrows in the yard.

natalie said...

Mmmmm, Anna, how yummy! I haven't really done any fall baking yet, but it is getting chilly so it is definitely time to start doing more baking around here!

Thanks, Janel! I love fall too- your mention of your corn shock sent me out to look in our garden for some corn stalks, I tied some on one of our porch pillars with some pretty orange ribbon. :)