Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"Solitude"

by Alexander Pope

Happy the man, whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breathe his native air
In his own ground.

Whose herds with milk, whose fields with bread,
Whose flocks supply him with attire;
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
In winter fire.

Blest who can unconcernedly find
Hours, days, and years, slide soft away
In health of body, peace of mind;
Quiet by day.

Sound sleep by night; study and ease
Together mixed, sweet recreation,
And innocence, which most does please
With meditation.

Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

JFC said...

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (NKJV) that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you,
that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.


Presuming that "thus unlamented let me die" refers to the nation, and not the community, it seems that the poem is consonant with the scripture cited. But I cannot conceive that a person who faithfully lives quietly would be unlamented at his passing by his church and progeny.

I hadn't realized that Alexander Pope was a Christian Agrarian. Thanks for posting.

Micah David said...

Yes, yes, YES!!! My heart leaps just reading it! Read Proverbs 27:23-27. Ecclessiastes (spl?) says the sleep of a laboring man is sweet. I think the bible unequivocally supports the 'simple life.'

Sound sleep by night; study and ease
Together mixed, sweet recreation,
And innocence, which most does please
With meditation.

There is only one word. Joy.

natalie said...

JFC- I agree about the verse, and about the assumption that the poet meant unlamented by the world- without fame.

Micah- I think you're right on with the one word to describe the life the poet has laid out.
"You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psa 16:11) In God's presence is joy, and as we live lives consciously 'Coram Deos' (before the face of God) we will taste the fullness of that joy. And, as the excellent sermon we heard last Sunday exhorted us, we are to rejoice, rejoice, rejoice, so joyful poetry would definitely be called for!

Lauren- Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :-)

Deborah Anne- this was my first time reading Alexander Pope's poetry (at least that I'm aware of) and this one just jumped out at me. I'm glad you liked it too. :-)