Pages

Friday, December 30, 2005

Yum?

I noticed Opossum in the index while finding the Stollen recipe this afternoon, so I looked it up and found this recipe.

While it is comforting to know that I have a resource if I ever need to cook opossum, or, for that matter, bear, racoon, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver, beaver tail, peccary, or wild boar, which were in the same section, it is a little odd to me to think of eating a 'possum. Usually, when I see a 'possum, it's on the side of the road, either road-kill or about to become road-kill. (This recipe doesn't seem like you could use 'possums that met their untimely end on the road, however.)

While I don't plan on cooking up any opossum, I was curious. Have any of you ever cooked or eaten a 'possum?

6 comments:

JFC said...

My cousin was recounting to my dad, just this past Tuesday, of a mission trip to Mexico this summer, during which 'possum was served to them. He became the hero for the mission team when he went to the market and purchased about a half-dozen live chickens so that they would not have 'possum again. My dad then told my cousin of having 'possum once when he was growing up; he said that it was intolerably full of grease that would not be cooked out.

I don't recall ever tasting this delicacy, myself, though. Maybe turtle and froglegs, but not 'possum.

JFC

James said...

opossum, or, for that matter, bear, racoon, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver, beaver tail, peccary, or wild boar

Well Natalie, you may not remember, but I am sure you have eaten at least one of the listed menu items. Any guesses?

JFC said...

I'm sure that, for Naddy, spinach, rather than the suggested turnip greens, should be the complementary dish.

JFC said...

Oops, I forgot that I have been "7. Disabuse[d] ... of the falsehood that [Natalie is] passionately fond of canned spinach." I guess turnip greens will have to do.

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
Did Abigail tell you that she has eaten possum? Her description of it was almost exactly like JFC's cousin's description of it ...."intolerably full of grease that would not be cooked out. It sounds pretty bad!

~k

natalie said...

Oh, my! :-) I'm surprised that she ate any.
It does sound bad.