Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Days These Days..

People ask me what my days look like. I think I've finally figured out the honest answer to that, and it is, I have no idea.

I frequently look back at the end of the day and it is a blur of diaper changes, baths, hauling Nathan down from the chairs, tables, benches, stairs, beds, and sofas he climbs, nursing, naps, giggles, messes, making food, washing laundry, dishes, to-do lists that grow instead of shrink, half finished projects, more nursing, diapers, naps, and tears (usually, just the babies, but sometimes mama too). In the few minutes since I sat down to write this, baby monitor next to me as they sleep upstairs (6.36 AM), I've realized that I don't remember if I paid the electric bill this month (if I didn't it's late), I've looked in the stack of mail and discovered my husband's paycheck (which should've been deposited), and I've thought I should go put the dishes away/hang clothes/clean the office for the company coming this weekend/find the missing vaccuum part/find the electric bill.

I ought to keep a diary for a day, jotting down each thing as it happens, but since I haven't journaled much since Miriam's birth I don't see that happening any time soon.

...

Since starting this, I've fed Nathan breakfast, nursed M, taken a load of laundry off the line, hung a load of laundry on the line, started another load in the washer, downed two glasses of water, given Nathan and Miriam baths, confirmed that I did indeed pay the electric bill, and put Nathan down for a nap. It has been a good morning. Nathan toddling around outside picking clover blossoms as I hang laundry. Miriam smiling back at me. Nathan putting his head on Miriam's feet to 'hug' her as she nurses. Green grass blowing in the wind. Nathan's glee at splashing in the tub.

I'm not going to try to polish this all up because then, frankly, it won't ever get posted... dishes need washed, floors need swept, and I need to get going because they're both asleep! :-)

5 comments:

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

You're amazing Natalie! I don't know how you do it with two tiny ones, but it sounds like they keep you plenty busy! :)

Missi said...

I can so totally relate! LOL! I once actually did jot down our activities moment by moment... and then lost the paper. No doubt someone colored on it or ate it. =/

How old is Miriam? It seems like the first 6 months after I have a baby things are a little unpredictable. After that we always fall into some sort of routine and I get the feeling I have things under control. Then I get pregnant again. ;)

Mary said...

Oh, Natalie! What a life! I can so imagine all of this... It sounds like my life when I was a nanny for 4 kids, ages 0-6 yrs. :)

Thanks for posting!

natalie said...

@Anna- I don't know how I do it either. ;-) One step at a time! They definitely are keeping me busy, but it is (usually) a lot of fun! :-)

@Missi- Miriam is 9 weeks old. :-) My husband laughed when he read your comment- 'then I get pregnant again'! We didn't make it 6 months between these two pregnancies, so that sounds like wonderful, generous spacing to me at the moment!

@Mary- Wow! I didn't know you were a nanny... that sounds really really busy with that age range! I can't imagine handling that many... but then I couldn't imagine how I was going to handle two. Guess that is because God gives the strength and grace in the now, not ahead of time!

Michelle said...

Just reading your post gave me the positive energy I need to get through my day. :-)