Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2006

And the answer is...

Thanks for guessing, everyone. Yes, it is something to do with insects, Deborah Anne, and it is even a cage, but it isn't a spider cage!

The object pictured in the last post is a Queen Cage, and it is used when introducing a new queen into a hive of bees. It protects her and allows the hive to free her, while creating a delay so that they get used to her and accept her as their queen.

This particular queen cage (with two dead queen attendants inside) was a souvenier given to Eph1:6Beloved and me by the man who is selling us our bees. He gave it to us when we went to drop off our Kenya hives (mine built by my wonderful father, hers built by JFC). We will pick them up in a few weeks after the bees are all settled in and happy. While we were there, he invited us to visit his apiary, so we donned protective gear and went out with him. He showed us how he used his smoker (ours is pictured), and then after using it to calm the bees down, he showed us inside the hives.

After he opened up a hive, he showed us the queen, queen cells, drones, drone cells, worker cells, pollen, and capped honey. After he demonstrated how to take out frames, he had us reach in barehanded and pull out frames and hold them and look at them ourselves. The bees practically ignored us, buzzing back and forth and continuing their work on the frames. It was a very exciting and interesting experience, and I'm glad that we had the opportunity to interact with the bees with an experienced beekeeper on hand!

7 comments:

JFC said...

he had us reach in barehanded

and interact with 40,000 bees ... barehanded.

My admiration is unbounded!

natalie said...

JFC- considering that our hands were the only bare skin showing, I don't think we were that brave. But thanks. :-)

Mybelovedismine- "Glamour wear"? Ha! Since when is a white head to toe protective suit with built in veil and hat "glamour wear"? I know that fashion gets wierder every day, but still. Fortunately, I am not too easily embarrassed, so it didn't bother me to be seen by total strangers wearing my protective gear. Just so long as there aren't any pictures. :-) (And remember, even if you do get pictures of me in the suit, I have pictures of you! Hahahaha! ;-) So there.)

And yes, you are right, there are three dead bees, not two. Oops. I went back and counted.

JFC said...

And remember, even if you do get pictures of me in the suit, I have pictures of you! Hahahaha! ;-) So there.)

Which naturally leads to the question: "Why haven't we seen them?"

Sarie said...

Barehanded? You're far too daring. I've never even met you, but I declare you one of the bravest people I've ever...(well, I suppose 'met' doesn't fit too well, here)...Well, that takes true courage.

I was stung by a bee at age four, and haven't been on speaking terms with them since.

Kay Cooke said...

That must be rather fascinating ... Yesterday my husband and I set free two sleepy wasps (it's autumn here now, so they are out of their comfort zone, so to speak) free from a restaurant window they were plying, like boats over an ocean.
Looking at one side-on and seeing it wiping its snout with its twiggy arms, I thought it actually looked quite worn out and rather cute.
Wasps and I have an understanding - I am the boss! I tell them to Leave when they zoom into the house, and they do funnily enough. Don't know about bees tho'! They don't seem to listen the same way as wasps do.

natalie said...

Deborah- Thanks!
JFC- Photo blackmail can go both ways... so I think I'll just keep those lovely pictures in reserve. ;-)
Sarie- I'm thrilled to be one of the bravest people you've never (yet) met!
Chiefbiscuit- I think wasps and bees are rather appealing when you look at them closely. Of course, when I have a wasp in the laundry room, I tend to think it much less appealing!

JFC said...

JFC- Photo blackmail can go both ways... so I think I'll just keep those lovely pictures in reserve. ;-)

I wasn't thinking in terms of blackmail. I was thinking glamour shots deserve their day on both your blogs. I really do want to experience all the virtual beekeeping that I can.