Pages

Monday, July 28, 2003

8.45pm
The boys are in the kitchen watching The Family Movie, except for Brendan, who is in the bath, having had enough ice cream.
We would’ve had to vote again on the movie choices, but it gets tedious for me to record votes so I made an executive decision. I don’t want to watch their favorite John Wayne, “The Star Packer”, again, yet, either.
When Mom and Dad go out for the evening, it is wise to plan. Once we did puzzles and I played DJ. Requests included “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd (request made by Jon, 6) and “I Could Spit on a Stranger” by Nickel Creek. I can’t recall who wanted that one, but I ignored that request (it is best, I find, not to introduce the spitting motif) and went on to the Painter Song, by Nora Jones (requested by Joshua, 5).
This evening we had root beer floats and watched uncles open packages at Christmases long before any of us were born, a water fight involving my aunt on the roof, my Oma’s mother visiting from Germany, lots of German cousins from when Papa was over there in the military, and uncles who look like cousins.

9.36pm
Now, Joshua is wailing in the bedroom because he didn’t get a bath, Brendan is brushing his teeth, and everyone except for B. is in bed. James is reading Brighty of the Grand Canyon, by Marguerite Henry. The cat, Oreo, is on his bed.

I’m going to get them all in bed and finish my homework for Lifeguard Training. It isn’t hard or complicated and the chapters are short. It’ll get harder when we have to perform rescues and use the floating stretcher.

I start Chemistry next Monday, for the first time. I’m not apprehensive yet, but something tells me I will be after my book arrives.

No comments: