Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Marrying Young

I've been reading this post from Nancy Wilson on marrying young (not teen, but not waiting till 35 either.) Love it, and especially enjoyed the comments, lots from of women who married young and don't regret it. Yeah, financially it is probably tougher to marry young instead of waiting until you have lots of savings, a very good job, etc. But this quote from Brandy's comment just hits the nail on the head for me- "some parents would rather their child struggle with sexual temptation than have any financial struggles."

Is it better to have young Christians struggling with sexual temptations while getting all their financial ducks in a row, or to encourage getting married younger and provide support for that?

When we got married, we were overwhelmed with the generosity of our church family- from a shower that mostly equipped the kitchen, to the people who asked us if we could use the furniture they were getting rid of (yes! yes! yes!), to the huge generosity of our families (who gave liberally in working on our house, as well as in helping us to equip it).

We don't drive fancy cars, have the latest gadgets, or vacation anywhere exotic. But we're getting to share these years, and I wouldn't trade this for the world.

Us, dancing at our reception and being madly in love. :) Photo taken by Sarie, I think... all I know is I stole it off Facebook and I love it!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love that picture of your wedding. I view those that marry young as very lucky indeed as you have more of your life to share with your spouse and children. I would have loved to marry young, but it didn't work out that way (I was almost 29 when I got married). Enjoy the journey and don't worry about those material things.

Brandy said...

Great post! And, thanks for linking to my comment. I am glad that you liked it.

Anna @ Feminine Adventures said...

Great post Natalie-- I couldn't agree more. :) Oh, and I love the picture too.

Glad2bHis said...

That picture is priceless!!! And thanks for extolling the virtues of godly marriage.

laura @ peacoat said...

that is a GREAT picture. you look blissfully in love.