Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Banana Breakthrough

Nathan likes eating little banana cubes, but he frequently had trouble picking them up and got frustrated because they were so slippery. Of course, the more you try to pinch up a banana cube, the slipperier it gets, so it would just get worse and I would end up having to feed him the little cubes, which wasn't as fun for either one of us as finger food would've been.

I don't know WHY I didn't think of this sooner... but I took some raisin bran flakes, put them in a baggy, and rolled the rolling pin over them until they were mostly crushed. Then I slice the banana as usual, put two or three pieces in the bag, and shake. I put those in front of him and he can finally just enjoy eating his now non-slippery banana! As a bonus, this gives him a (teeny) amount of fiber, which he also needs.

Yay! I would've shared a picture of this gourmet delight with all y'all, but my camera batteries are dead and we're out of AA's. Sorry. But I'm sure you can imagine it anyway, right?

4 comments:

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I can imagine because I've totally done it! I used to roll ours in wheat germ or ground oatmeal. Whatever works to make them less slippery!

Laurel said...

Having walked seven little ones through that stage (well... maybe six... I could never get Grace to eat bananas much), I'm amazed at the simplicity and fabulousness of this idea. If we're blessed with any more, I sure hope I remember!

Jerralea said...

My kids are teens so I'll have to file this idea away for when I'm a "nana".

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope my idea helps you salvage that sheet!

Mosey said...

Noooo! Dead batteries are evil! D:<

But that was a wonderful idea! ^--^