Pages

Friday, August 22, 2003

We watched Wit last night, a movie with Emma Thomson as a woman diagnosed with stage four ovarian cancer. It was a very intense movie. Definitely a shift stylistically from the M. Night Shyamalan we've been watching and analyzing-- Vivian, the main character, often speaks directly to the camera. We didn't see any symbols. We did hear John Donne read aloud, which was interesting because I had not heard or read any of his work. I'll have to do that sometime. I really enjoy Emma Thomson's voice reading poetry. At the beginning of Much Ado About Nothing she speaks the words to a song in the text of the play, and I learned those lines, not so much because I loved the meaning, but the words and the sounds and the rhythms.

I just might survive Chemistry. I got the first test's results today. Better than I had expected.

No comments: