Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Little Helpers

Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking has a new post on including kiddos in household work.  That is something that I really try to do with Nathan (and need to start doing more  with Miriam), so I loved reading about ways she tries to do that in their home.

I especially loved this...
"Including your children in your various household tasks may require more time and effort on your part to teach and instruct them, and there very well may be a bigger mess afterward…but what is more important? Investing in your relationship and teaching valuable skills in the process or sending them away and getting the job done quicker while losing out on this important opportunity?"

And here is my comment on her post...
My two year old "washes" dishes with me every morning.  He has also started putting things in the dryer as I unload the washer, getting specific items out of the fridge for me while I'm cooking, and throwing things away when I ask him to.  Yes, it takes longer, yes, sometimes the clean clothes end up on the floor before they make it to the dryer, and yes, we've broken a lot of glasses while washing dishes... but he is learning, he is trying to help, and we are enjoying working together!

9 comments:

Test said...

I've started "teaching" Frankie how to operate the dishwasher with me. He also likes to "fold" laundry (he mostly picks it up, waves it around, and puts it down).

Lindsay said...

Isabella (at 8 yrs old) STILL has the ironing board, broom, dustpan and vacuum she got for her 2nd bday. She always LOVED being mommys little helper!

Young Christian Woman said...

My daughter Hannah is turning two this weekend. When I do it and she's up, she helps with the dishes (puts tupperware away) and helps me with laundry. I also expect her to pick up her toys before nap and bedtime or before going outside to play.

natalie said...

Kas - yes, my two love to "help" with folding... but usually they're taking the folded stuff and putting it back in the unfolded pile, lol!

Lindsay - how sweet! It's so great that they actually LIKE helping... I really want to foster and encourage that to continue.

Maybe- thanks for the visit!

YCW - That is great! We need to get more into the habit of putting toys away before naptime! Otherwise I find myself doing it so I can sweep while they're napping... which uses up my undisturbed cleaning time and means they're not helping with something that is on their level. Good reminder!

Brooke said...

What a great post Natalie! I remember awhile back being frustrated that I wasn't being as productive as I thought I should be. And then it occured to me, include Ellie in some tasks and work/fun/training will go on together! Revelations like this one are so simple and yet so amazing when they happen, right? I love having my little helper with me, and I think she loves it even more! --- Hang in there with the chicken pox, it is just a season! You may need to remind me of this if/when my babies get it. :)

Pua said...

My daughter LOVES to do laundry. At 14 months, she helps me bring the baskets to the laundry room, pick up the dirty clothes to put in the washer, transfer from washer to dryer and finally fold. She also loves to help vacuum and holds the dustpan while I sweep into it. And since she helps out so much, I pretend I get my chores done faster (when really it makes it last a little longer) and then tell her "Now we have time to share a big bowl of ice cream!" I think cleaning day is her favorite day of the week.

natalie said...

Brooke - thanks! And yes, I keep reminding myself that it is a season... someday, Ellie and Miriam will make dinner while we're sitting down and putting our feet up! ;)

Pua - how sweet! And I think it is so great that you're making it such a happy thing! I like the ice cream addition, too...hmm... ;)

Anonymous said...

Question: Have you ever had to stop your children from lighting something on fire?

natalie said...

No, Anonymous, I have never had to stop my children from lighting something on fire. They are two and one, so their capacity for chaos creation has not reached that level yet. They have broken dishes, spilled olive oil, and walked repeatedly through the pile of dust I've just swept up, but no fires. That probably also has something to do with the fact that due to their current abilities I don't think I've ever done anything with fire in their presence. Unless you count the gas stove, of course. But they both know that they aren't to touch that.

One thing about working with your kids is that you're working right there with them... and hopefully preventing them from lighting things on fire.