Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Coconut Oil Fudge

I tried Lindsay's coconut oil fudge recipe recently... it is such a simple recipe that even though I've never made fudge I thought I'd give it a try. 

Honey, coconut oil, and cocoa powder in the blender...

The first time I made it I used the inexpensive coconut oil that we had on hand.  I liked it ok, although I felt that it was more "fudgy" in texture when frozen.  Micah felt that it had the texture of shortening and disliked the honey flavor.  Only he said it more tactfully than that. ;)

Undaunted, I tried it again, this time with Tropical Traditions coconut oil*.

 I also melted two squares of baking chocolate in the melting coconut oil.  
Yes, only one is pictured, ignore the discrepancy! ;)

 The fudge in the pan, before being cooled down... 

I stored it in the fridge, but didn't have to freeze this batch for a good fudgy consistency.  The flavor was so much better... probably partly because of the difference in coconut oil, and partly because I added the baking chocolate.  Either way, that batch was approved by all.  Yay! 


Another perk of this recipe? No eggs, so I have no qualms about letting Nathan perform the very important job of taste tester!  He approved. ;)

____________________________________________________________________
* I will be reviewing Tropical Traditions coconut oil in a separate post.  
I will be repeating this disclaimer then but thought I would tag it onto this post as well for full disclosure.

Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose.  Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.

8 comments:

TexasBobbi said...

I could never get my fudge to turn out 2 Christmases ago when I tried to make it.

Rita Joiner said...

I love coconut oil! The smell and taste is so lovely.

natalie said...

Bobbi - I've always been way too intimidated to try all other fudge recipes! At least you were brave enough to make the effort... :)

Rita - the inexpensive stuff we got first didn't have any smell, and the taste was only so-so, but I opened the jar this time and the smell was heavenly! Otherwise I'd be scratching my head at your comment... ;)

Servant of the Most High, thanks for the visit.

Unknown said...

That sounds super yummy! I have never tried coconut oil in fudge!

natalie said...

Alisa, neither had I but now we're hooked! You should give it a try. :)

Dionna @Code Name: Mama said...

Mmmmm fudge - I think it would be delicious with coconut oil! Can you taste a hint of coconut in it? Yum.

Rockin' Mama said...

That looks AMAZING!

natalie said...

Dionna - yes, just a tiny bit! I want to get some shaved coconut and sprinkle it on top before serving... I think that would bring it out a lot more.

Thanks, Rockin' Mama! We sure like it! Let me know if you try it. :)