Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Tortillas!

Combine in mixing bowl:
2 c. unsifted flour
1 t. salt
Cut in with pastry blender:
1/4 c. lard or shortening
When particles are fine, add gradually:
1/2 c. lukewarm water

Toss with fork to make a stiff dough.  Form into a ball and kneed thoroughly... To make dough easier to handle, grease surfacce, cover tightly, and refridgerate 4-24 hours before using.  Let dough return to room temperature before rolling out...
Roll as thin as possible on a lightly floured board, or between sheets of waxed paper (I like parchment paper for this step.)  Drop onto a very hot ungreased griddle. (I just use a frying pan).  Bake until freckled on one side, turn.

Enjoy!


More-With-Less Cookbook (World Community Cookbook)
Recipe from the 1983 printing of the  More with Less Cookbook, which I am borrowing from my mother. 

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Natalie, does your recipe remain flexible?

Tammy said...

I realize that my comment is not very clear. Do the tortillas, made with your recipe, stay flexible or do they crack if used the next day or later?

natalie said...

They do not stay flexible. I don't know how much of that is the whole wheat flour, however, as I usually use 1/2 or all whole wheat flour.

I heard recently that you could roll out the tortillas and freeze them for later use... it seems like that might be an alternative for having fresh ones without mixing them each time, so I am going to try that.