Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lewis quote

"He who surrenders himself without reservation to the temporal claims of a nation, or a party, or a class is rendering to Caesar that which, of all things, most emphatically belongs to God: himself." C.S. Lewis





Some of my favorite Lewis books...
Till We Have Faces: A Myth RetoldOut of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, Book One)That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy, Book 3)Perelandra (Space Trilogy, Book 2)The Lion, the Witch, and the WardrobeThe Screwtape Letters
and...
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia)The Horse and His Boy (The Chronicles of Narnia, Full-Color Collector's Edition)... and I better just stop myself since I could go on!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Excellent quote! I love Lewis so much I'm generally reading something of his.

Right now I'm reading The Four Loves and then I'm going to reread Till We Have Faces. His books have been a major factor in my Christian growth.

natalie said...

I'm about due for a reread on Till We Have Faces! The first time I read it, I totally didn't "click" with it, and I was so disappointed. The next time I picked it up, I was blown away, and now it is a favorite.

Kelly said...

I was exactly like that -- I'm not sure I even finished it the first time I read it.

Have you read The Abolition of Man? That's one that I struggled with several times and never finished, until I read somewhere that it was practically a companion piece to That Hideous Strength, my favorite of the space trilogy. I read THS followed immediately by TAoM and finally I could understand what he was getting at.

The man was a genius.

natalie said...

I have not. I love That Hideous Strength, though, so I'll have to add that to the reading list and keep that in mind...

Absolutely!