Pages

Wednesday, May 07, 2003

scene: Walmart cosmetics aisle
characters: myself and five year old brother Joshua
his comments are in quotes
Joshua stares at a makeup ad while I look at eyeshadows. He sees a close up of an eye and eyebrow with a dark smudge of purple shadow from the inside of the eye diagonally to the outside of the eyebrow. He intently studies it for a moment. Then he asks me, with a grimace,


-"do you like that?"
-no
-"if you buy that" pauses to grimace and shake head "then...I'll just throw that right away."
-well, that isn't your job, though, is it?
considers
- "no, but when I'm grown up and have my own house, then."
I misunderstand and think he's still talking about throwing away my makeup
-well, even when you're big you won't be my boss, you know.
-"no, with my girls, I mean."
-with your own daughters?
-"Yeah." he walks alongside me as we leave the aisle. "even if the mom [his wife] thinks its ok, I will still throw it away."
------------------------

I walk on with him, marveling at the fact that at five, he is planning his household's rules for eyeshadow.

No comments: