Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Favorite


If you're like me, most of your furniture comes to you in a condition which suggests that it has been either extremely well loved, or abused.

If you're like us, the furniture continues on the same path of heavy usage after we acquire it.

This is the dramatic story of a coffee table.

I was given this hand-me-down coffee table shortly before we got married last year, back when we could count the pieces of furniture we owned on our fingers. When I came into possession of this table, it had glitter and marker all over the top. Fortunately, that came off with elbow grease, and I gave it a little shine with some furniture spray. Until now, that furniture spray was the big gun in my furniture improvement tool box. Well, it's been replaced by a better solution for most of the problems. This Old English Scratch Cover (yes, this is the part of the post where it starts to sound like an advertisement, skip to the end of the paragraph to miss that part) is amazing. I like darker colored wood furniture, but scratches show up really well. And if, hypothetically, the puppy chewed on the legs? Well, all I can say is, that would be really bad.


Like, really, really bad.

So, anyway, I found this scratch cover, and I tried it, and I like it. Here is the before:


...and here is the after.




True, this is still not perfect. You can still see the tooth marks from that scourge- er, I mean, adorable puppy. But it took me less than 15 minutes, and since it darkened all the scratches they aren't the first thing I notice about my coffee table anymore! And THAT is something to smile about. :-)

No comments: