Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Reader

We kind of had a big event happen last week.  Nathan read his first book!

We've been having a lot of fun doing more preschool stuff lately.  The back to school sale aisle is always so tempting to me, and finally I felt justified in purchasing some school supplies!  I also picked up a few workbooks that have really been a big hit (like, "can we do another page?!"type success), and have been doing some of Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  We've made it to lesson 6, so far.  Initially, I was very enthusiastic about it, just because it was so simple and he enjoyed it so much.  The "say it fast" game really was fun for him, and I could see how it really helped him gear up for sounding out and then saying words.  


But as we progressed past the first few lessons, I was troubled by a few things.  The approach of having lines over vowels to indicate the long vowel sound confused him right off the bat - he knows all his letter sounds already from The Letter Factory, and so telling him that ē says 'eeee' when he gleefully shouted 'eh!' felt a little advanced for beginning reading.  I talked to another mom who said that her daughter was frustrated in later lessons as those symbols began to be phased out.  I really want to avoid frustration and confusion, so I started skipping the long vowel sections in each lesson.  That seemed a little ridiculous, so we ended up skipping it more and more days and playing with letter puzzle pieces and sounding out words I wrote out on paper instead.  I will say that the "say it fast" practice did seem to be helpful as he transitioned from making each sound individually to saying the word.  I'm not sure if I'll end up doing more with it or not, at this point.  I may do more of it with my next kiddo, but for now we may not need to keep on with it especially with my doubts about some of the approach.

I made some cards (I love index cards so much!)  with simple words that stuck to basic vowel sounds.  He loved arranging them in sentences and this week made the leap into sounding it out and then saying it independently, not just being led through it.  I had SO much fun watching him gleefully master word after word, and not want to stop.  



Since he was doing so well with those, I dug out Pan and the Mad Man, one of the readers from the boxed kindergarten set from Veritas Press.  It's a great set but seems really involved to me, better suited for a classroom, or maybe just not suited well to me with having three little ones right now.  It seems like it takes a lot of planning and prep work, which is a drawback for me right now.  My mom used it for three of my brothers and handed it down, so I have the luxury of picking and choosing from it without feeling like I invested in it and have to use it all.

The other drawback is that I don't like the script it teaches, which is italicized and intended to transition better to cursive.  I would prefer to have them master a solid, neat printing hand before cursive and not start out with the curved tails and slanted letters.  But there are things I love about it - the readers are nicely illustrated and imaginative, the puzzle pieces with letters on them (that can be combined into words) are genius, and the CD with catchy songs about phonics rules is great.  I think that I'll be dipping into the Veritas Press Phonics Museum box more and more as we get into more complicated words, since I love their emphasis on the "rules" of why words sound the way they do.  

However we end up proceeding, I'm just so excited that Nathan read his very first book.  It feels like a huge milestone to this bookworm mama, and I'm so thankful to be able to help him learn and watch his face light up with that feeling of accomplishment.

What methods have you tried, if you've taught your kids to read? And...any beginning reader recommendations? :)  
Photobucket

12 comments:

Kacey said...

We went with Hooked on Phonics. The Pre-K was lovely, colorful, and engaging and he did so well that we skipped right to 1st grade which is...less so. It's still working (he's reading at a roughly 2nd grade level at 4), but I don't really understand why they didn't continue using the games, songs, and colors that made the Pre-K program so fun. I have yet to find a curriculum in any subject with which I am 100% satisfied and I am beginning to think that is just kind of the nature of the homeschooling beast.

-A. said...

We use My Father's World Kindergarten as a kind of Pre-K. The best way for learning to read with that was their blend ladder- each vowel on a rung of a ladder, then you add (foam letters) a consonant to either side of the vowel until you're making 3 letter words... It seems to be a good prep. for the Abeka I use for "real" kindergarten. :) It's amazing how my kids actually enjoy learning, as long as it's reading! My 10-year old LOVES encyclopedias! One thing I learned with him, though, is I really can't push him. He was not ready for the pre-K program, even though he showed interest. Maybe if I had just backed off instead of making him do the exercises he wouldn't hate actual school so much and hate any kind of failure. So, each kid is different. Some might be ready at 4, some might need to wait till 6. Anyway. I digress. :)

Laura said...

on a side note... I get the paper paint swatch colors from Walmart or Home Depot (free) to teach Kale'a her colors.

Michelle said...

I am impressed with Nathan!

Supposedly, Liam reads at a first grade level. He will not read a book (falling into tears and saying he cannot do it) but constantly reads things and ask me why they say that (yesterday we drove through construction and he asked why the sign said "slow"....we met a new friend and Liam pointed out his name and said "Jake, the e is silent).

I haven't taught him any method of readng but he will learn Abeka at the school he will attend this year. I have heard good things about "emplode the code" if you want to check that out. Starfall.com is great too if you don't mind him using the computer.

Michelle said...

explode the code...that is what I get for not spell checking

Redwood Academy said...

Yay for Nathan! I love watching young ones grasp the concepts and begin reading! I used Professor Phonics for most of my children, but then switched to Saxon Phonics for my three youngest. I liked the former for the simplicity. I rewrote their word lists on whatever I had handy so they wouldn't be so tiny to read. It had no extras except flash cards, so I created worksheets, games or books to go with it as we went along. Saxon includes easier to teach phonics rules, flash cards, letter tiles, simple worksheets, suggested games, and short readers that the child would put together, color and read. You can often find Saxon Phonics used and just have to purchase the consumable workbooks.

natalie said...

Kacey - thanks for sharing! I've heard good things about Hooked on Phonics but haven't had a chance to look at it. I totally agree on the 100% satisfaction! Seems like the best I can expect is *almost* perfect...fortunately tweaking things isn't that hard with just the one student right now!

natalie said...

-.A - definitely agree every kid is different! I am not a fan of pushing early reading...because I want them to have a love for reading more than I want them reading by a certain age!

On the other hand, not knowing what things will look like in another year (I might be laid out with morning sickness, or have some other thing come up) I don't want to miss an opportunity when he wants to learn and I have the energy and time to help him. :)

Thanks for sharing about the blend ladder...I may try to make one of those! I bet that would be really fun for my kiddos! :)

natalie said...

Laura - what a fun idea! :) Isn't it exciting as they get to the point where they're so curious and love learning?!

I know a mom who uses skittles as potty training rewards AND color teaching. Multitasking at it's finest! ;)

natalie said...

Thanks for the ideas, Michelle! Our internet is low on data so Starfall has to be an occasional thing, but I really love it. They have printable worksheets that are fun and tie into the activities, too.

That is amazing that Liam can read like that on his own! He's such a bright boy. :) I hope that the school is a really good fit for him and that he enjoys it and makes good progress. Will be watching for updates! :)

natalie said...

Thanks, Lori! I'll have to see about going to a curriculum sale or something so I can get my hands on a variety of things to get an idea of what's out there. So many choices! :) And yes! SO fun watching the concepts click for him! Especially since he's so excited about being able to 'break the code'! :)

Maria said...

Aww that's lovely- he's so happy too! Those books sound awesome. I love picking up old children's books at car boot sales, troqs and village fairs as often simpler and beautiful images and often quirky poems or ideas. Saying that, Leons favourite book is the lion king and can read it out with good intonation, pace and voices- but only the odd recognisable word here and there- "nanana pride lands- and oh no naughty scar didadum rarrr. Seems as though I should get my hands on some more educational books and look more closely at word formation! Thanks for your educational post :) x