Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Hearty Corn Muffins

Basic Corn Bread recipe (my version of the Joy of Cooking's recipe):
Grease pan, preheat oven to 425*, and combine:
1 c. flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 c. corn meal

Combine in separate bowl:
2 eggs (beaten), then beat in
6 T melted butter
2 1/4 c. milk
2 T honey

Pour liquid into the dry ingredients, combine with a few rapid strokes.  Bake about 25 minutes. (Muffins take less... I can't remember so maybe start checking them at 10 minutes?)



I took this cornbread batter and added browned ground beef, diced onions, corn, & cheese.  It was really good!  Next time I'll add more of all of them, and maybe some sour cream, to boost the protein so it can stand alone.

Also, I'll try not to leave them in the oven so long after the timer goes ("just finish changing this diaper, and then... oh, yes, wipe that kiddo's bottom too...") because some of them were a little dry (made three pans, so half a dozen are in the freezer now!). :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

I assume this would work in a 9x13 pan also? how many muffins does it make?

natalie said...

Laura, I assume so since it was originally just a cornbread recipe. I have an extra large muffin pan and a regular sized muffin pan, and this made six extra large muffins and twelve "normal" muffins. I greased the extra large pan really heavily but used papers for the other one. It was hard to get the paper off until the muffins had completely cooled, so I would suggest slathering the insides of the muffin cups with butter before filling them if you want to eat them right away. :)