Pages

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

This and That

Well, the dress is done except for needing hemmed. The sandwiches are made. The last load of laundry is in the dryer. My bags are in the Suburban. Now, the only question is...what have I forgotten to pack? Hmm.

...........................................................................................................

What makes a book a classic? Why are some old books classics and some not? Is it the merit of the story, the quality of the writing, the fame of the author? The reason I ask is that someone mentioned Wuthering Heights the other day, and I began to wonder why its considered a classic. Because when I read it several years ago, I recall that I didn't like the story at all and considered it depressing and boring in the extreme. I realize that my disliking it isn't a strong enough reason for it not to be a classic... but why are some books classics and how is that determined?

..............................................................................................................

I will be in a wedding next Saturday. I already had someone volunteer to pray specifically that I will not have hiccups during the ceremony (thank you!) but if y'all could pray generally for our safety while traveling cross country and also for a smooth event next Saturday I'd appreciate it.

................................................................................................................

Since we'll be away from home for about a week, there is a good chance I'll be silent for that time.

13 comments:

JFC said...

if y'all could pray generally for our safety while traveling cross country

'Tis already being done.

We will try to remember the part about "a smooth event next Saturday" also.

:)

Loz H. said...

Ok

Anonymous said...

Chuck Norris did in fact, build Rome in a day.

--Chuck

natalie said...

Thanks JFC and Loz! :-)

Anonymous, I would prefer you used a name (even if it isn't yours.) Thank you.

Sarie said...

You don't like Wuthering Heights? What kind of a person are you? Oh well. I don't like Jane Eyre, so we're even. Unless you don't like Jane Eyre either. Hmm.

Loz H. said...

NATALIE!!! YOU NEED A NEW POST RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!









(J/k)

natalie said...

I really, really like Jane Eyre, so I guess we are even, Sarie. And just WHY do you like Wuthering Heights?

Yes, Loz, I know. :-)

JFC said...

Loz H. wrote...
NATALIE!!! YOU NEED A NEW POST RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!


And a picture of you in your new dress!

Sarie said...

Yeah, and give us money! (*this* is actually why I have no friends :D)

Anonymous said...

The way you talk to Chuck Norris.

natalie said...

The way you talk to Chuck Norris. Yep.
Chuck Norris did in fact, build Rome in a day. And just what do people go to visit in Rome? What? Ruins? Aha.
Now, anonymous, I've requested you pick a name. Failing that, I will hold a vote or choose one for you if you post anonymously again. Or I could just delete your comments.

JFC- that is dependent on several things, so don't get your hopes up.

Sarie- Sorry, I don't have any cash on me. :o)

Mybelovedismine- depends on my mood and my shirt color, but generally, green. :-)

JFC said...

JFC- that is dependent on several things, so don't get your hopes up.

Too late. They already are. Surely the Settler, the Country Guitar Picker, or one of the Five Brothers is somewhat handy with a camera ...

JFC said...

oops, Country Guitar Picker / Cellist