Pages

Saturday, June 04, 2005

I warned each of my brothers that I was not in any mood to be flipped as I cautiously dipped my toes in the water while holding the floating ring in the water to keep it from floating away.
I put on my red straw hat, lowered myself into the ring, and began to adjust myself in it.
I began to lose my balance, and lean backwards.
With a stifled screech...
I flipped over backwards, losing my hat, completely submerging myself, and entertaining all of my brothers, who had kindly refrained from tipping me over -- not, mind you, that they had much opportunity, since I couldn't have been on there for a whole minute.

Later, my next brother, who is eleven, decided that I and my floatie were a merchant ship from England with a cargo of hair clips, and that he and our youngest brother, who is six, were my defenders, on the other floatie.
They, noble warriors on a black round battleship, did their best to protect me against the other two boys (for those keeping count, four boys were playing, and one was 'lizarding' in the sun on a chair).
The other two were pirates, doing their level best to flip me over and out of my ship, or, if that were not possible, to bombard me with cannonball-caused splashes. Our battleship was armed with a noodle, however, and they were blowing into one end and shooting water out the other. Not that it really was a match for the other two, with their cannonballs, splashing, and trying to upset both ships.
I think we would have eventually fought them off, but Mom called a truce, and we resumed our more peaceful pooltime activities, such as converting both floaties from ships into train cars, and then seeing how fast we could go.
Pools are so much more fun when you have lots of siblings to play with... even if you do get splashed more.

No comments: